Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Thanksgiving.. down the memory lane

As I mentioned previously, my friends from VJTI days did visit me this thanksgiving. So it was obvious that we would discuss lots of old stories. If I have to describe my years in VJTI, I can just recall the song, "Those were the best days of my life".

Indeed, I always get nostalgic when VJTI comes up in any discussion. VJTI is my engineering college where I did my BE, US equivalent of BS. So it is my Alma mater. I spent a major chunk of my formative years in the canteen of VJTI and around Matunga and Five gardens area.

I still like the Chinaman, DPs, Mani's restaurants. I simply love the aroma of coffee around the King's Circle area. I think it is the best coffee I can ever get. And of course, all the second-hand books you can get on the footpaths around that area, you cannot beat that price and the variety.

When I went there last time, I went to the open corridor on the third floor in my department and just looked at the quadrangle below. It was the 'Quad' where we would hang out, sit on the steps, have vada-pav or tea, complete our assignments 15 minutes before the submission. It was where Pratibimba, the annual festival would be held. Quadrangle was a phyical part of VJTI but it was an emotional part of our life. The 'Quad' seemed awefully empty when we left VJTI the last time. But now it looked full again. It was full of unknown faces, with the same rush, carrying same folders, speaking about same labs and viva-s and trying to catch same trains and buses.

I still remember my first lecture in VJTI. It was maths-1 and I was late for that. It did not take long to make my best friends. Semesters passed, exams happened or got postponed, vivas gave us sleepless nights, assignments came and went, practicals and journals were done as had to be. But the bonds of friendship and affinity we formed in VJTI lasted through all that. Even after all these years, I cannot forget my 7:56 morning train to Dadar and the 5:24 or 5:40 evening train from Dadar, and my friends who would hold seat for me.

Simply said, "Those were the best days of my life!"

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 6:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude, this is truly a journey down memory lane.. nice stuff.. keep writing..

- a fellow VJTIite

 
At 1:26 AM, Blogger Atticus said...

Hey,

Also a fellow VJTIte, it felt nice reading this and remembering my own days!

Landed up on this page via google- VJTI unfortunately has been in the news for all the wrong reasons :(

Cheers!

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Good one. Really made me nostalgic about college ... Chinaman - that's what I was looking for on Google when I came across this blog. Now that I am in the US, I miss VJTI and Bombay in general a lot. VJTI and Bombay have made me the person I am and I am proud of that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home