Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Myself.inc

For quite some time now, this, crazy if you may call it, thought has been lingering in my mind. "What if I start to treat me like a corporation?" Now what does that even mean? This simply means that I think of my financial matters as if I am a corporation.

Just like everyone else, I have my own likes and dislikes. I have penchant for some things like chocolate and coffee. Take for example, the other day I went to the grocery shop to get some milk. But as I was passing through the candy isle, I saw Cadbury's Dairymilk with Irish Cream flavour. All it took was a little temptation to deviate me from my disciplined spending habit. The problem is not that I spent a couple of dollars over something I like, the problem is that I am still thinking about it after two weeks and I am blaming myself for not being firm enough.

So what makes me think that if I treat myself like a corporation, things will change? For one, I would be the CEO and the largest shareholder. And like a good corporation, the executives' obligation is to the shareholders. I believe that position should bring not only possibilities but also responsibilities. When I treat myself like a company, I will have tangible goals. My salary becomes the revenue of this company. Salary is a fixed income. So in order for me to grow the individual enterprise, I should be a good investor and cut on unnecessary spending. When you run a corporation, you should also have faith in the company and give it a mission statement. That means I should have faith in me and run my life with principles. Every company has bankers who finance it in its early and probably fledgeling years. When the company becomes profitable, it should return the loans. This brings into picture managing your debt wisely. That means not using my credit cards like a magic wand and paying bills in full.

But while these are good first steps, they will not make me much prosperous. In order to progress I should have clear objective goals and a timeline to achieve them. I should have peace of mind so I am balanced and not emotionally driven. Afterall prosperity does not come without prescience.

2 Comments:

At 1:09 AM, Blogger Prachi said...

Interesting.Well as you have mentioned thinking about ourselves as a corporation is a good start.

 
At 2:19 AM, Blogger Prasanna said...

Surely your company is showing strong growth potential. Keep it up. What other revenue generation mechanism your company is investigating these days?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home